In civil proceedings, Kevin has represented various Olympic athletes in disputes related to promotional issues, a Big Five accounting firm in an action instituted by an arm of the Chinese government, and a trading company in an action brought by a Kazakhstan government entity relating to the purchase and sale of Kazakhstan oil. He has represented an Austrian businessman and various Austrian companies in connection with a suit alleging Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and Colorado Organized Crime Control Act violations, various medical device manufacturers in qui tam actions arising from the submission of alleged false claims, and a gas utility company in qui tam and related actions alleging underpayment of royalties for natural gas. Kevin also represents several professional sports teams and entertainment companies.
In his white-collar criminal defense and regulatory practice, Kevin has represented a national sports organization in connection with the grand jury investigation related to the awarding of the 2002 Winter Games to Salt Lake City, an oil field supervisor charged criminally with violations of the Clean Water Act, a physician charged criminally with violations of the Medicare/Medicaid antikickback statute, a chemical company in a Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA) and Clean Water Act grand jury investigation, an environmental laboratory in a grand jury investigation of potential reporting fraud, the former chief financial officer of a solar panel manufacturer in connection with a false statement investigation related to President Obama’s green energy initiative, an environmental plant manager in a RCRA and Clean Water Act grand jury investigation, executives of a large telecommunications company investigated regarding alleged securities law violations, a commodities broker charged criminally with trading violations on the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, a natural gas trader in connection with a grand jury investigation pertaining to the alleged reporting of false trades, a manager of a large aerospace company charged criminally with false claims violations in connection with the space shuttle program, a meat producer in a criminal false statements case arising from an e-coli outbreak, food distributors in grand jury investigations and criminal cases alleging transportation of adulterated meat and poultry products, and various former municipal officials charged criminally with bribery and extortion.
Kevin holds black belts in Taekwondo and Karate. He also is an avid scuba diver and has climbed nearly half of Colorado’s 14,000-foot peaks, as well as Africa’s Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., 1984)(Editor-in-chief Saint Louis University Law Journal)
- Saint Louis University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1981)
- White Collar Criminal Defense and Securities Litigation
- Internal Investigations
- Complex Commercial Litigation
ADMITTED TO BAR
- U.S. Supreme Court
Litigation Counsel of America (Fellow, 2014-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America; Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (2017-present)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers Ranked Lawyer (2008-present)
- Named one of the 15 most talented young trial attorneys in Chicago by the Illinois Legal Times (1996)
- Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General in Illinois to investigate and pursue the state’s largest road builder for fraud and false billings (1993-1996)
- Included in Legal Media Group’s “Expert Guide: White Collar Crime” directory
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell